Saturday, July 9, 2011

Furry Sheets

In my student years, for my first degree I rented and lived on Youth Allowance.. skint city..
But I had a lot of fun trying to make the most of what little income I had

I love thinking laterally and trying to find cheaper ways of doing things... it's great fun, and I get a huge buzz when I find an alternate that works even better than the more expensive option.

Now, one of the things that really chews through the budget is electricity and its the age-old issue in winter of being cosy and saving $$
Electric blankets, although they probably don't use a whole lot of electricity compared to appliances like blow heaters, still made me feel a bit funny when I'd forget to turn it off before falling asleep, and I'd wake up in a bit of a sweat, overheated.
But flannelette sheets were the only other known option to keep snuggly in bed.. but when you jump in bed, they're COLD!

Someone on my favourite savings forum Simple Savings mentioned that you can use polar fleece blankets as sheets for winter.. and because they're synthetic, they're warm on contact - as soon as you jump into bed, they're toasty.
I toddled off to the shops to find some polar fleece blankets, and in Safeway found gorgeous luxurious chocolate brown queen sized minky blankets for $20 each.

The current blankets have been in use for almost 5 years now, and I've not looked back.. no more electric blankets here!

Instructions for use: to convert a queen sized flat blanket into a "fitted" sheet, simply tie a knot in each of the 4 corners, and tuck the knots under the mattress.. hey presto!  Use the 2nd blanket just like you would a flat sheet.

Minky Blanket... furry sheets!

No comments:

Post a Comment