Monday, July 25, 2011

Budget Wedding Tips - Part 8: Invitations

Wedding Invitations - things I've learned..


I went to town with our invites.. I had a ball!  We had an 18 month engagement, and it was a great distractor from my studies.


Watching my sister and other girlfriends go through the DIY route of making wedding invitations made me realise that it really depends on you as to whether the potential savings are worth it.


If you enjoy DIY, go for it.  But if you're time poor, and DIY is frustrating, I really think it's worth paying to get your invitations professionally made.


I made a layered look cardboard invite, and paid a lot of money only for a few sheets of beautiful printed paper, securing it to the cheaper office grade ivory card I found at Officeworks.
I printed the invitation details on tracing paper - as it was a lot cheaper for a pad of tracing paper than the "vellum" that is used usually.


I wanted to gift box our invites, but couldnt afford boxes at $2-3 each, so I found a template online for boxes and set about making my own with cardboard, a guillotine and a hot glue gun.
Most of our invitations were hand delivered, so postage wasn't really a hassle for the few that needed to be posted in this box.
Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to flip this up the right way!  And it looks a bit butchered when removing the addressee's details - never mind: at least you can get some idea of how it looked

The box our invitations came in, wrapped with vintage style lace and ribbon, with the Addressee's name on a cute handmade tag.


Important bits and pieces to help you DIY:
1. Font: I loved the look of Copperplate Gothic Light in capitals mixed with Edwardian Script -both from Microsoft Word

2. Inexpensive Ribbon: I found cheap ribbon on eBay in bulk from DEclipse-Craft-Garden

3. Card stock, tracing paper, brads (pins to secure paper together) from Officeworks

4. Hot glue gun and glue sticks: from Spotlight or Lincraft



No comments:

Post a Comment