Tuesday, January 4, 2011

When Everything Comes Together

"She meticulously organised her things.. colours with matching colours, similar shoes with similar shoes.. scarves neatly hung on a special scarf rack... everything all in it's place"

I love that feeling of organisation, I only entered organised wardrobe nirvana last year though.  Before that, it was a mishmash of bits and pieces and mostly a mess.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a vacuous person, obsessed with outward appearances.. my insides are much more important to me and more developed than my preoccupation with my outsides would indicate - but I discovered last year that more than just how I look, fashion is FUN.

It would have to be tied up in my losing 15kg last year and going from a size 16-18 to a size 10-12.. not only am I healthier and feeling more vibrant, but I have an excitement for getting dressed up that I'd lost as a child.. you know, where you used to love choosing your own outfits ("not that one mum!") and dreaming about party shoes.  So this passion for dressing comes from a sincere, happy place.

Anyway, back to it.  Last year I stumbled upon http://www.whatiwore.tumblr.com/, a style blog by Jessica Quirk in the US.  Jessica's down to earth honesty was what really stuck with me.  She wasn't all about the latest and greatest, even though those can be fun; she embodied that excitement that I remembered as a child, and styled outfits using her favourite things, which were often thrifted, like me.

On her blog, I remember reading about how to organise your wardrobe.  It was surprisingly simple.. and mainly involved putting like with like.. Hanging clothes of similar colours together in the wardrobe, organising shoes so that sandals go with sandals, ballet flats with ballet flats, all my tights together easily visible on a hanger so I can see them hanging in the wardrobe with one glance, putting all the jumpers together, all the jeans together.. well, you get the idea.
It's revolutionised the way I see my stuff.  Things look better.. it's rare that you find a day where you look at the wardrobe and think "I have nothing to wear!".. there are so many beautiful things, they just needed to be "merchandised" like stores do.

So, today, a sunny day in Melbourne, I looked into this wardrobe of mine, and felt like wearing a long black soft jersey maxi dress.. then upon seeing other items hanging with such colour coordination, teamed it with an op shop grey vest, a scarf, a long antique gold necklace with an owl pendant and then some soft tan leather cut out sandals that were a bargain on eBay for around $16.. I walked out the door feeling like a million bucks.

..sigh.. when everything comes together :)

No comments:

Post a Comment