Thursday, January 6, 2011

And Sew It Goes..

I love that Billy Joel song.. daggy? yup.

I've been sewing up a storm yesterday and today, trying to get through my "to do" pile before I go back to work next week.
I'm starting a new job and I just have no idea how much free time I will have (I'm sure I'm overreacting, but it's a completely unknown quantity) and wanted to get through my stash of "fix me's" and "refashions" and a dress that I'd already cut out but hadn't sewn together.

I wish I had taken some before photos, but alas, I didn't think that far ahead... you see, I just thoughtlessly posted "sewing up a storm" on facebook, out of boredom more than anything else, and then had friends asking for photos.. hence only "after" photos.

So, without further ado, I present....
The "nina" dress:
Inspired by a gorgeous buttercup yellow frock Asher Keddie's character Nina wore in the promos for "Offspring"

A lovely 100% wool jumper I found on eBay in a mustard yellow shade that I can't seem to get enough of lately - I blame the lovely Kendi of Kendi Everyday - I love her JCrew Mustard cardi, but JCrew is really expensive from Australia (the shipping is a killer.. or they don't ship.. either way it wasn't possible! :D).  This jumper was too big and whilst I could wear it, I felt a bit frumpy, which is definitely NOT the way to feel.. so I cut the arms off it, took the main body in on both sides, and sewed the arms back on... Voila!

I altered quite a few things.. a few summer dresses that were now a bit big, took them in at the sides.. found a gorgeous pussy bow FCUK blouse for $5 at the Salvos op shop and just took it in and replaced a few buttons that had fallen off.. but those weren't really interesting enough to take snaps of..

Lucky last picture is of a nice old blue and white gingham mens shirt that I thought would make a great shirtdress.. so I cut the arms off, took the body in at the sides, sewed the arms back on, and sewed the really nice heavy cotton cuffs back on at the elbow.. ala a Witchery shirt dress that I've seen.. trouble is, it's not quite long enough to wear on it's own, but will still look cute with leggings or shorts.


Quite productive all in all :)


No comments:

Post a Comment